Childline have produced a useful resource on gangs on their website:

Their resource covers the following subjects:

  • What is a gang?
  • Why do people join gangs?
  • Gangs and the law
  • How can I leave a gang?
  • How can I help someone in a gang?
  • I’m scared of gangs, what can I do?

Some ways to report things

Asking an adult for help, like a family member, youth worker or teacher.

Calling Crimestoppers or giving information online:

You will be asked questions about what has happened, but you don’t have to give your name.
0800 555 111

Calling Childline or having 1-2-1 chat with a counsellor. It’s confidential and you can get in touch at any time. Calls are free, even from mobile phones.
0800 1111

Contacting the Police by dialling 101 to report something that already happened. If it’s an emergency or someone is injured or being threatened, you can call 999 for urgent help. The police are there to protect people and help stop crime.

gangs and young people