Information for families
Bexley S.H.I.E.L.D. has agreed 5 shared ambitions for all children and young people in Bexley:
- All children and young people are safe from harm
- All children and young people are healthy and enjoy healthy lifestyles
- All children and young people enjoy and achieve at school and/or college so that they have the skills they need for life and future employment
- All children and young people have access to leisure and opportunities for fun as they are growing up
- All children and young people are active in their communities, their experiences count and they have a voice with influence.
Below are the links to a number of pages with information for families on a range of subjects relating to the safety and well-being of children and young people:
Are you worried about a child? Here you will find information and links to services for children, young people and families.
In this section, you can download a number of resources including for children with additional needs.
We offer some definitions of bullying as identified by young people in Bexley and advice for parents courtesy of Bullying UK.
We have shared resources to help you protect your children from harm when online whilst still supporting them to achieve the maximum benefit from new and developing technologies.
What is self-harm? Who does it? What are the warning signs? What to do next? Here are some helpful resources from Young Minds, the NSPCC, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, and Family Lives.
What are the causes of radicalisation, how to spot the warning signs, and how to approach the topic of radicalisation with your child and protect them from it?
If you have been affected by domestic violence, there are a number of organisations who may be able to provide you with support.
Bexley Council as well as several local and national charities offer services providing support for drug and alcohol related issues.
What are the requirements in terms of notifying the local authority about a private fostering arrangement?
Here we share information on the law regarding age restrictions, hours that children can work and the jobs they can and can’t do, as well as links to more detailed information about child employment.
In this section, you can find information about road safety campaigns, the dangers of speeding, and tips on keeping the home environment safe.